The G7 summit met this weekend to focus on inequality, France interestingly drew up these 5 points to concentrate on:
- fighting inequality of opportunity, promoting in particular gender equality, access to education and high quality health services;
- reducing environmental inequality by protecting our planet through climate finance and a fair ecological transition, preserving biodiversity and the oceans;
- strengthening the social dimension of globalisation through more fair and equitable trade, tax and development policies;
- taking action for peace against security threats and terrorism which weaken the foundations of our societies; and
- tapping into the opportunities created by digital technology and artificial intelligence (AI).
All these are worthy things to discuss they all need addressing, but when its expected that no decisions will be made during the weekend it begs the question why? Why do they bother? The rest of the weekend was a perfect opportunity for World Leaders to boost their manifestos.
There was discussion regarding the allocation of $20 million in funds to aid the amazon fires which if it comes to fruition is great, ecology was already on the list so why not go ahead and discussing sanctions to protect the rain forest. Brazil’s government may not appreciate the attention but they should be doing far more than they are and slinging insults around just nullifies the gesture of allocating the army which should already have been helping the fires to actually go and help fight the fires.
We can but hope that the positive decisions and discussions which apparently came out of this weekend will be action-ed, the amazon will be no more if something is not done soon.
If you would like to grab a copy of my book and support my writing it is available in both print and kindle version check out the links below. Donate to your favourite charity when you buy my book using Amazon Smile!